Skip to main content

Katia is Three and Thriving!

Hello Friends! 

I can’t remember where we left off but oh my! Time has flown. Katia is going on three this year (how?!)! 

Since we last checked in, her prescription has yet again changed. She was lowered to a +15 and now has glasses with prescription strength to help her see from far away. 

We are still aiming to patch 4 hours a day and although somedays are like a hot knife through butter. Other days are like cutting steak with a butter knife. 


We traveled recently and it was our first actual “contact and patch” trip. I was SUPER nervous to say the least. We were travelling to Mexico so we wouldn’t have access to any extra contacts if they were to get lost and previously when on vacation, I never had to worry about time. I was able to take a back up contact with us and then ALL the patches. She did so well, and I felt like I almost stressed for nothing. We went swimming and she did great having her contact removed and because we were so busy patching was a breeze. It was a great opportunity to teach as well as its not very common to see such a wee babe patching.

We had Katia’s follow up in January of this year 2020 and although everything looked great, she was not having it. It has probably been one of the toughest appointments for her to date, but she is a lot more independent at this point in her life and she figured out how to work the tech quickly. 

She was doing the vision chart and the tech was offering her stickers if she behaved but Katia quickly discovered if she got a sticker first she would call out the picture, next time if she got two stickers she would call out the picture and the last time she got the stickers and ran. 


She is becoming more and more verbal and it is getting easier to communicate with her when I need to take her contact out. So much so that she has quickly learned that if it is bothering her, she will remove it herself and hand it to me to put away for disinfecting. At first I was terrified, this quickly turned into relief because I realized if she had it in her hand and was letting me know then less of a chance of me going on all 4’s with the flashlight looking for it all over the house (or ordering contact #13423). However, I still must act quickly regardless because she’s a curious one and I get scared she will try to eat it. 

Our most recent life event with this little lady was a fractured humerus! She was very upset because we didn’t let her bathe in dirt (especially as she was throwing it near her face) that she let herself drop, had a moment and landed perfectly on her elbow. 

It has been a blessing and a curse as she can’t rub her eye anymore since her right hand is casted but man if she runs into you with that thing it hurts. We will be following up this July as she is now being seen every 6 months which is a jump from the 3-4 we were doing. 

Life is still happening. She is still as sassy as ever and the world continues one Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol and Car at a time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Update on Katia

Following our last post, life with Katia has been a whirlwind!  At our latest appointment her prescription was changed from +19 to +18 and I remain hopeful.  She has also started walking! OH MY! She used to crash into everything and walk on her tip toes, so we ordered her first pair of glasses for protection. We have still been patching for 4 hours a day and although, as the days go by it gets a little harder we continue to work toward those 4 hours.  Katia has learned that if she rips her patch off and sticks in her mouth to get it gooey, we can’t stick it back on!!  She has also learned to throw things away. Like I said, life with Katia is truly a surprise. She has reached all her milestones and loves to read!  Despite the fear of living each day wondering how much vision she will get back I know that she is a relentless, smart, vivacious little babe who will conquer anything that is put her way. I do not feel like her vision has affected much of her life, as this is what she knows.

Preparing For Surgery

After discovering Arthur’s condition and existing cataract , the next step was to schedule his lensectomy. We discussed the process and unknowns before going in, which involved a lengthy appointment and dilated examination. I’ve never had a dilated exam to compare, but doing the process with a small month-old infant was probably easier than examining a toddler. The ophthalmologist had an exam table to lay him flat and swaddles to keep him contained. It still wasn’t easy and I ended up having to leave the room, tearing up, while my husband stayed with Arthur. I took everything the hardest with the loud baby cries—he wasn’t in pain—but the combination of postpartum hormones and hearing my little newborn cry just did me in. In fact, 6 months later, I still leave the room at each examination. Don’t be embarrassed if you need to, too. Calming down during an appointment after an examination After the examination we discussed the surgery details and met the retina speciali

Why Do You Call It A Prosthetic Eye?

There are many phrases that we grow up with that just are what they are. Until having a child that needs a prosthetic eye, I had always called them glass eyes. I got this from my granny recounting stories of a family member who had a glass eye. Literally, it was made of glass as this was in the early 1900’s. It just is a phrase that is used without thought because that is what they were once made of. Now, I have been asked to think twice before I speak. I recently received an email from a young woman in Korea. This was not the typical email I receive through my blog or social media accounts. She was not a parent trying to find information on her child’s health conditions. This young woman was diagnosed with microphthalmia as an infant. She was asking me why there were so many terms for a prosthetic eye. Especially when those terms can make someone with one feel like their condition is not being fully recognized. She said that she specifically was searching with the term: prosthetic eye